Madam Musing and I were just talking about what's next, what are the things we see coming out of the shiny, new Democratic Congress. There's the Nancy Pelosi first-100-hours list, the things she wants to get done right off the bat. If memory serves, those include
- Raise the minimum wage
- Implement the rest of the recommendations of the 9-11 commission
- Allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices with pharmacy companies
- More money to help kids go to college
- Put better ethics rules and enforcement into place for congress
- Implement a safe and fair election system in this country. This business of Republicans working to keep people from voting is vile stuff.
- Work to move us more quickly to energy independence from oil. (I like this one because I think it would really help distance us from the madness of the middle east.)
There are other things to get to work on immediately. I think I've heard one or another Democrat talk about these at one time or another.
- Investigate fraud in where the money's gone for rebuilding Iraq
- Work seriously on changing direction in Iraq and getting our soldiers out of harms way.
- Stand up to Bush on the damn signing statements
- While we're at it, stand up to Bush on his appointments of incompetents to important posts within the government. Same for judges.
That'll do to start. I'm sure more ideas will come up as we get into the swing of being able to accomplish things again. It's been a while, but I have a feeling that this bunch of Democrats is ready for this challenge. I think they're ready to hit the ground running. And that's good because we know the Republicans aren't going to slow down and back off. We can't pussy foot around with that gang.
I think Pelosi, Reid and their cohorts are ready to be tough right back at them. We've learned a lot in the past six years. Yes, we want to work with them if that's possible. But if they start any bullshit, we've got to be ready to take it right to them. That's what they've been doing for years to us and while I don't want to be vindictive and revengeful, I also don't want to let them get away with anything. The country's tired of the Republican games and the Democrats have a strong position. They can't back down.